Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Silhouettes



I've always liked doing black and white drawings but recently I have got into doing silhouettes. They're easy once you've done the outline-you just colour everything black! Our friend and erstwhile neighbour, Alicia is getting married in the (not very) near future. But because she is an organized Shirley girl (like me) she asked if I could work on a design for a wedding invitation and I did this bride for her. Later I also added a groom!

For this one I started with a simple cat and then added a (rather wonky) window and then the vase of flowers and the butterflies and then the cobweb tablecloth.
Having done the cobwebs I then graduated to fairies. Fairies and elves and toadstools are made for silhouettes. 

These little gnomes  and the snail look as if they have just arrived at a friendly toadstool inn for the night. Could be the beginning of a story...who knows!
Colour works well in combination with black silhouettes. Jan Pienkowski has done wonderful work with this and I have bought his book First Christmas and stowed it away to read to the girlies in December. http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Christmas-Jan-Pienkowski

And then my old school friend, Janet Braund Few, sent out a plea for someone to help with a logo for her new venture, Swords and Spindles. https://swordsandspindles.wordpress.com/ I was happy to be able to help. I tried to introduce a row of lace on a petticoat but Janet said her alter ego, Mistress Agnes couldn't be doing with that  so I blacked it out :) 














































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the honourable mention - and thanks for our great logo!